Monday, October 22, 2012

This is so pretty and inspiring I can't even handle it

So, as I was flipping through this lovely novel also known as "Hard Times", I kept trying to picture what the words were describing within that situation. The point of this post is to bring to light a passage that speaks to us and to simply enjoy the image the language creates. This one spoke to me: "Here was Louisa on the night of the same day, watching the fire as in days of yore, though with a gentler and humbler face. How much of the future might arise before her vision? " (Dickens 286). Alright, I literally just sat here and reread that three times to even attempt at gaining all of what Dickens is trying to portray to the audience. (Hint, hint, nudge, nudge: you should do the same). This passage comes from the end of the story, where futuristic descriptions come in to give the audience some answers. It's disappointing that it seems like Louisa doesn't recieve her answers. The comforting idea is that she is finally at peace with herself and satisified with not having everything figured out yet. That's the beauty of making mistakes when you're young, you learn to appreciate those mistakes with time. (I say this with full awareness that I am no where near done with making all of the mistakes I will be appreciating later on in life). Louisa goes back to her fire, the fuel to her hope, the unanswered questions being the fuel to the fire. Fire needs fuel in order to continue to burn, and the fire needs to burn in order for Louisa to stay a happy camper. (Haha, I'm funny). Time was actually probably the best thing that could happen to Louisa. Time gave her the opprotunity to learn and to feel. It's so pretty. Just enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment